- I am enthralled by these vintage photos from an ’80s sci-fi convention.
- While we’re all laughing at Doge, featuring a Japanese Shiba Inu, people in Japan are sharing image macros about other things entirely. These are the top three Japanese memes of 2013.
- Also from Japan, Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino lays down some fighting words: Attack on Titan isn’t that great. He’s probably just jealous.
- My friend Serdar, who you might know as the editor of the late anime.about.com, just launched his personal anime blog, Ganriki. I’ve always liked how there’s a lot of depth to his reviews and analysis.
- Meanwhile, my friend Aja (remember her from my Otakon video?) is part of a Kickstarter to publish original works by authors who made names for themselves in fanfiction first.
- I love Polygon, both for its stunning article design and its content. This article, on how clever advertising systemically disassociated half the population from video games, has both.
- Just a few more hours left to fund Slash: Romance Without Boundaries! It’s a card game about creating hilarious fanfiction pairings. I funded it within minutes of hearing about it, not even kidding.
- Finally, did you know Viga, the cartoonist behind Panelburg and Twenty Minute Comics, has a web series? I didn’t until I saw this one and cracked up.
(Photo via vintage everyday.)