- This Newsweek article is a great example of how to take a niche anime topic and expand on it for a broader audience. It’s fantastic until one funny misstep at the end: “If you like Devilman Crybaby then you’ll love… /scans Netflix/ Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?”
- For way more detail, Sakugablog translated Buzzfeed Japan’s interview with Devilman Crybaby director Masaaki Yuasa. I loved Yuasa’s Ping Pong the Animation and remembering how good it was is why I took a chance on Crybaby at all.
- “Parasites” in Darling in the Franxx. This installment of Emily’s flower language blog series clarified a lot of the stuff I was wondering about with this episode.
- All the winter 2018 anime have premiered, and it’s time to decide which ones are worth watching so you’re not trying to follow 10 at a time (I’ve been there). If you’re wondering which ones to stick with I’d recommend checking out Anime Feminist’s premiere digest.
- If you want to watch the same shows as I’m reviewing, those would be How to keep a mummy and Record of Grancrest War. The second is a real blast from the past—I watched Record of Lodoss War on VHS tapes in elementary school. Unfortunately, Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line didn’t make the cut—though I’ll still be keeping up with it.
- It’s almost time to vote in the Anime Awards, and the nominees just went live this week. You can start voting for Anime of the Year and 16 other categories on Monday.
Screenshot from Darling in the Franxx, Crunchyroll.