The good side of waiting this long to put out my holiday gift guide is that I was able to glean ideas from other people’s. I loved Chic Pixel’s geeky guide, and don’t get me started on Anime News Network’s wacky picks.
It all comes down to this: the anime fan in your life already knows where to get the anime DVDs and Blu-Rays she wants, so unless she asks for it, I’d buy anime fans things other than anime itself, but which directly relate.
These are my twelve picks for the anime fan, otaku, or Japanophile on your holiday list. As always, Amazon links are affiliate links, all other links are not. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Be sure to check out my gift guides for anime fans for 2014 and 2013, too!
1. Space Case. My logo designer Ben Huber made this slick Space Dandy-inspired art for your laptop case. $20, society6.com.
2. All-Access Pass. Give a month of Crunchyroll streaming in high definition and no ads for the cost of a cup of coffee. $6.95, crunchyroll.com
3. Sushi Pouf. A massive foam sushi roll for your favorite Japanophile’s living room. Also comes in California roll style. $79.95, Sushi Style
4. Ninja Dress. Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke never looked so cute as in this mini pattern, complete with ninja stars. $49, Lace and Lore
5. Poké-tote. Available in both Gyarados and ghost trio styles, these bags merge pop culture with traditional Japanese art styles. $28-30, Anime Trash Swag
6. Feline ‘phones. These cat-ear headphones look like something an anime character would wear, and now they can be on your head. $150, amazon.com
7. Kiki Candle. This Ghibli-inspired candle smells like “warm ocean breeze, fresh bread and a hint of sweet pastries.” Yum! $15.49, Old Glow Candles on Etsy
8. Medicine Seller Model. This Mononoke figure doesn’t come out until May, but this design is so richly elegant, it might be worth the wait. $130, amazon.com
9. Robo-Bear. My pick for anyone interested in getting into Gunpla building: a quick and easy take on Gundam’s cutest suit. In red, yellow, blue, or pink. $6, amazon.com
11. Cute Coloring Book. Get in on the stress-relief coloring book trend with this distinctly anime-fan oriented take, Shades of Kawaii. $7, amazon.com
12. Pocky Pack. Middle school me would have had a heart attack in a good way. Embrace the stereotype with practically every Pocky flavor. $20, amazon.com